Wednesday, March 5, 2014

A polka dotted cake!!




This cake was so much fun to make! Before I made this cake I did some research, because I wanted this cake to be a success the first time. One good tip I learned was,  normally I would make my cake pops by hand, but after my research, I found out that, cake pops are a different texture, from the baked cake itself. So you would have a two textured cake...not good. So I went out and bought this mini cake pop maker only $10 at Walmart.  Great investment for this cake! Obviously it cut the time in half, instead of me baking a cake, crumbling it up, adding the icing, mixing, and shaping the balls, all I did was fill the little cups with batter and let them bake for about 2-3 minutes and they were done! Love this thing! So here is step by step instructions on how to make your own polka dotted cake!

First I mixed up my favorite white cake recipe. You can use two box cakes as well, as long as it is a white cake mix, so your colors will will mix well. The recipe that I use makes alot of batter so I had enough to scoop 1 1/2 cups of batter into each bowl. then add a few drops of your preferred color of food coloring, just til you get your desired shade of color

The instructions on the cake pop maker said to fill the cups with 1 tbls of batter, please don't do that. You will have a big mess. 1/2 tbls worked for me. So fill the cups and close the cake pop maker. Bake for 2-3 minutes. They bake pretty fast.

Once cake pops are ready, scoop them out with a butter knife by running the butter knife around the cake pop and then scoop it out, and place them on cooling rack til cooled. Please remember to grease the pans...I forgot and had to pour everything out and start over. Good thing I had lots of  batter to spare.  Once cooled, arrange them in two circles in an 8 inch pan.

Take the remaining batter and pour to cover the cake balls

Cover til you can just see lumps, I filled mine a little under a half full

 Bake according to your recipe, or according to the box. This is what it should look like after baking. See the little cake ball showing. I was getting excited when I saw them lol

So then after they had cooled, I stacked them and iced the cake. Just for fun I piped different color polka dots all over the cake, 

 And around the bottom


Okay now time to cut the cake!!

Isn't this the cutest!! I think I did great for a first timer!!

TIPS

*The only tip(s) that have is use more cake balls , fill up the cake pan.  When I cut maybe the third  slice of cake, it had only one polka dot. So more is better
*Remember to grease the pan
*Don't hand make your cake balls
**Have fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment