Monday, March 3, 2014

Pedals pedals pedals...for your your cake!!




Some may look at this cake decor and be like "whoa, I can't possibly do that, it would take forever!" Well let me tell you it is no where near as hard as it looks, believe me. I had put it off long enough, Finally, I said to myself  "I am a cake decorator and I up for this challenge!! Guys this was my very first pedal cake.... perfecto!!! Although it takes a little while, (about a good 15-20 minutes for a 9 in. 2 layer cake for first timers) it is so worth it!  I baked a smaller cake this time, so it won't take as long. So now it is your turn. I am going to show you step by step instructions on how to make this cake yourself and amaze you friends and family! So hang out for a while and watch me bake it up beautiful!! Gotta sing that out loud...bake it up beautifuuuuulllll! Ok lol.

Supplies and Ingredients
A 2 layer cake, I used (6 inch pans)
3 cups of buttercream frosting 
A spreading spatula 
1 piping bag 
1 coupler set
#12 tip
scissors
A cake spinner or a lazy suzy
And whatever you are going to have your cake set on. I didn't have any cake boards so I used 2 small paper plates.




First we need to assemble our piping bag for the frosting. (You can find all of these pieces from any cake decorating store)Cut a good bit of the tip off the piping bag

Slide the coupler inside


Now add your  #12 tip over the coupler opening 

Finally twist on the cap, and it's ready for the buttercream


So now fold the opening of the bag outward over your hand, sort of like you are holding a cup

Scoop out he frosting and while holding the bag as wide as you can with your fingers, insert the frosting to the bag using your thumb to hold it in the bag while you pull the spoon out.
Ok place a dab of frosting onto your cake resting plate. This will help hold the cake in place.

Place the cake on top of the dab of frosting and add the frosting

Place the 2nd layer on top and fill in the middle. Doesn't have to be pretty

Okay you are going to squeeze out 4 dots. Making sure you start at the very top. Even if you have to go passed the top edge a little. to pipe, all you do is, Squeeze, stop, pull away. Squeeze, stop, pull away

So normally I would use the spatula above but since this is a smaller cake, we need to make smaller dots, I'm using the end of this pastry brush. So what you do is press in the center of the dot, (not to deep to where you touch the cake)

Then as you get to the end of that dot, smear it to the cake
 do that technique all the way down. Make sure clean the spatula after each dot. by wiping on the top edge of a bowl or towel. This keeps your pedals looking neat.
The next set of pedals will be overlapping the first set of pedals. 



When you are almost done, it will get a little tricky, trying to smear without messing up the first row you did. I just say do the best you can :)  and that last set will just be dots, no smearing.

Now for the top of the cake, we are going to pipe frosting all around the otter edge

Same overlapping technique, pulling it to the center

All the way til you get to the center. which can then be a series of dots or a swirls with the frosting

And there you have it!! 


This was a Hello Kitty cake that I made for my daughter's  13th birthday, using the pedal technique

No comments:

Post a Comment